Friday, December 19, 2008

The Seventh Day of Poetry

Christmas in Iraq - a Christmas Poem for Our Soldiers

'Twas the night before Christmas in an Iraqi town;
And our brave U.S. forces had all just hunkered down.
Not a Humvee was moving, not a Jeep stirred the sand
As troops dreamed of their homes, each and every man.

Some longed for their sweethearts, other men missed their moms,
Others missed sons and daughters not seen for so long.
Sugarplums would be nice, but much nicer to be
At home with their loved ones 'neath their own Christmas tree.

When what to their wondering ears should be heard,
But the faint sounds of carols, music and joyful words.
At first heard so faintly, then the sound grew and grew --
The sound of your loved ones singing carols for you.

For you are not forgotten, you are not alone;
You are missed by the people you keep safe at home,
And we remember you as the Christmas bells ring,
As you're watched by the Christ Child whose carols we sing.

For no matter how far from your home you may be,
There once was a Babe born for you and for me.
So hark to the carols as their music draws nigh,
And look to the stars in the Iraqi sky.

Remember the star which on Bethlehem shone,
The star that still guides those who yearn to be Home.
So as Christmas Day dawns over here, over there--
Merry Christmas to you, with our love, thanks, and prayers.

By Kathryn E. Darden from Christian Poets Pen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice and a beautiful tribute to our brave soldiers over seas. We take so much for granted, I am thrilled you remembered those so far from home during this Christmas season.. I remember when I was in the service many year ago now that one Christmas I was in Rhode Island 2000 miles from my family and when I called home I just cried because I wanted to be with them so bad.......

Well done and Amen to that

Kathryn said...

Thank you for the very nice comment. And... I am pleased to point out -- this poem was posted on my birthday! What a nice "gift!" :-)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this, Kathryn!